Here’s a picture of my newest guitar: An Ephiphone Les Paul Tribute. Nicest guitar I ever played and WAY cheaper than a “real” Les Paul. Move over Jimmy Page! :))
Occasionally, I will see some criticism of the common practice of using the #FF, or “Follow Friday” hashtag on Twitter followed by a list of people that the Tweeter is encouraging others to follow. The main complaint about this practice is that it clutters up one’s Twitter timeline with basically useless and uninteresting content. This is not an entirely unfounded complaint as any Twitter user will see when perusing their timeline on any given Friday. However, I have looked past the “clutter” to the original intent and purpose of the Follow Friday tradition on Twitter and have come to love all of the little hashtags and lists of Twitter “handles.” Following are the main reasons why I have come to love Follow Fridays on Twitter:
- Sometimes, I have a really busy week and don’t get onto Twitter that often, if at all. This makes me feel a little guilty because I have neglected my Twitter friends. However, because #FF has become such a tradition, I NEVER miss it. This gives me an opportunity to let my followers and followees know that I am thinking about them even though I haven’t participated with them on Twitter for a few days.
- Another reason that I love Follow Fridays on Twitter is that the people that I follow and who follow me have some really interesting things to share and I really do want others to follow them so that others can enjoy the same benefits and interactions that I enjoy.
- Finally, I love Follow Fridays most of all, because, instead of seeing the hashtag clutter, I see other potential interesting people to follow. If someone that I enjoy following is suggesting that I follow these other Tweeters, I want to check them out to find out if I too would enjoy following them. In this way, I have connected with even more interesting and wonderful people on Twitter.
So, if you are annoyed by all of the Follow Friday hashtags on Twitter, or if you are wondering what it is all about, check them out. Follow some new people and suggest great people for others to follow. Join the community spirit and find out what Twitter is really all about!
- Follow Friday: Gratitude for New Twitter Followers (suzettemariel.wordpress.com)
Just found this awesome interview with Patti Smith at http://www.oceanstar.com. They didn’t have any “share” buttons, so I just copied & pasted part of it here, with a link to the original site. If you’re a Patti Smith fan, you’ll love this interview.
“two sensual states of death linked by the constantly spinning present”
[from “Patti Answers,” The Patti Smith Fan Club Journal #5″, October 1977.]
DOES IT TAKE A LOT OF TIME AND THOUGHT TO WRITE LYRICS OR DO THEY COME INTO YOUR HEAD AT RANDOM?
…lyrics rush very fast in the studio or on stage only after months of struggling w/ a certain idea. there are exceptions. free money came very fast, like a miracle, from the eyes of a dog.
DID OR DO YOU EVER EXPERIENCE A HEAVY CASE OF ABYSMAL BLUES?
…yes. but suspecting this abyss is bottomless I have trained myself to suspend or climb out less be lost forever.
WHAT DO YOU EAT? HOW DO YOU STAY SO SKINNY?
…I eat what my body craves. mostly fish, couscous, and mint, w/ a weakness for donuts. skinny? constant movement both physically and mentally.
HOW DID YOU MEET ANDI OSTROWE?
…she sent me a letter which impressed me so I called her.
ARE YOU HAPPY?
…yes, and I struggle to stay so.
IF YOU HAD TO DEFINE YOURSELF IN ONE SENTENCE TO SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER SEEN OR HEARD OF YOU, WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?
…it’s all in her smile.
HOW DO YOU INVEST YOUR MONEY?
WHAT DOES YOUR MOTHER THINK OF YOUR ERRATIC BEHAVIOR?
…she doesn’t think. she watches over. mothers do not judge they love.[…]
Click the link below to check out the latest release from Atomic Honey…actually… it’s not really the latest release…I had the privilege of having been sent an advance preview of another song, which is very beautiful…but I’m not permitted to share – guess you’ll just have to wait for the album to be released sometime late this Fall! :) My Sacred Eternal by Atomic Honey.
The One or The Many. The debate has raged for eons in philosophical and religious circles – and even in movies. Today, I was once again faced with the question myself: Should I continue to post about MANY topics on my blog, or should I narrow it down to ONE topic? Or, posed another way: Should I continue to have only ONE blog, or should I separate my topics out onto MANY blogs?
Today, I actually purchased two more domain names and pulled my Naked On a Strange Planet blog off of WordPress.com in order to host it myself so that I could “redirect” some of my posts to my new domains. I spent a good part of my day copying, pasting, and redirecting; as well as selecting new themes, plugins, etc. for my many blogs. When 5:00 pm rolled around and I realized that I had spent my entire day on this insane task, I said, “STOP! What are you doing and why?”
- Do I really care how large my readership is? No, it’s the quality of the interactions that I have with people on my blog, and not the number of readers that I have that brings joy to my life.
- Do I really think that I’m ever going to make tons of money from affiliate advertisements on my blog(s)? No, not really. Besides, we all know that’s not what it’s about, right? It’s about being able to express yourself and share your thoughts, interests, etc., with the wider world out there. I know for a fact that I will make more money actually working than I will ever earn by spending hours tending to MANY blogs instead of ONE.
- Do I really suppose that if one of my readers has no interest in a particular blog post that they will unsubscribe from my blog? I would hope not. Just delete the email and don’t read the post – knowing that the next one will be right up your alley. Or…try something new and different on for size, you might be pleasantly surprised!
Finally, I decided that I had simply succumbed to a case of temporary insanity brought on by the ever-present, evil desire for MORE, MORE, MORE. More domains. More blogs. More readers. More search engine hits. More obligations. More time spent. More money spent. More aggravation, headaches, and…. You get the picture.
So, it is after much wasted time and effort, that I have finally decided to have it both ways: I will continue to have ONE blog with MANY topics.
Another really interesting article from Earthsky.org. Excited or maybe even depressed about the Summer Solstice coming soon? Not sure what the Summer Solstice is? Check out […] Read the rest of this entry →